Sunday, July 1, 2012

Still Hot, But I'm Coping~~~~~

Still 100 degrees+ day after day and from the long term forecast it will be for at least 2 more weeks!!! AGH! Last evening though we did have CLOUDS! It was such a mystery where ever did they come from?? Just north of us, in the same county, the little town of Barnard, got 8 tenths of an inch of rain and some small hail, we got clouds! Oh well it did cool off, into the 90's sooner than usual, which is always several hours after sundown, so that was a plus.
So... to keep my insanity, opps I think that should be sanity, (both do apply sometimes depending on the project),.....I have started sewing on a new handbag,  or purse, or tote, or pocketbook, whatever you call it but definitly not a clutch since it's much larger and has handles. I bought purple leather handles when I was up in Cedar Rapids, IA in September visiting my dear quilting buddy, Jean and attending her guilds quilt show.  She too bought the same handles in red and has completed her purse many months ago! The pattern is ps008 Bow Tucks Tote, designed by Penny Sturges. It's taken me several months to find the fabric that "feels" right for the project, and for me fabric selection is a huge decision!! I bought my fabric in Concordia, KS at Fabric Essentials a quilt shop I hope to return to many times in the future, as this was my first visit and the fabric choices were overwhelming!  The fabrics I choose are from a recently released new line from Andover Fabrics, titled Flower Doodle by Kim Schaefer. I purchased 3 coordinating prints and pulled the black and white lining fabric for the bag from my stash. I'm very happy with the colors and itching to get back to the machine, so I will keep you posted as to my progress and post a picture of it when it's completed. Hopefully very soon as DD is coming for a week long visit on Tuesday and I'd like to have it done so we can do some Corn and Beans (I've posted photos of the block in previous posts) sewing while she's here.
The scenic view from my sewing machine!!! NICE!
It would be much better if it weren't so droughty :-(

6 comments:

  1. The hot temps seem to have settled in earlier this year and my only consolation is maybe they'll leave earlier too! I certainly hope so because I'm tired of them now already and there's still July and August to go. To look on the bright side, its good weather to stay indoors as much as possible and quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto that Mayleen! Staying indoor & sewing is the only way to survive. I'll be so happy to just be back in the 80's again. But I'm with you, our hottest months are upon us, so where do we go from here? At least this week it looks like temps should stay in the lower 100's.

      Delete
  2. Super hot and dry here as well and there is talk of the dreaded "d" word -- drought. I keep reminding myself Fall will be here soon. Have fun sewing. I love bags, purses, totes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "d" is sooo bad here! Just saw this evening on the forecast that we may get a break from the 100's on Sunday!! Now if we could just get one of the "spotty" showers to show up here (also in the forecast, keep your fingers crossed).

      Delete
  3. We've had some amazingly hot weather up here too (Ontario, Canada) but we're lucky that the rain still shows up every now and again to cool things off. I don't envy your blistering heat (but I do envy the view from your sewing machine! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy watching the birds at the feeder and a gentle breeze with the side windows open on nice days. My favorite though is when the rains fall straight down (no wind) then I keep them open and listen to the peaceful sound as I sew! If it ever really greens up again I'll post a better photo.

      Delete