Monday, July 23, 2012

Sewing history! Way back to 1968!

So let's take a little trip back in time to where it all began~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Fall 1968, I was excited to be in junior high, seventh grade, attending class, by changing classrooms for each subject with a 5 minute hall passing period in between! My classes, P.E., Math, English, Social Studies, Science, Vocal Music, Art and wait for it ............Home Economics.!!! Oh yea with Mrs. Jean Keller a very patient and understanding teacher! Cooking was fun, but sewing was the best! After the initial basics and demonstration sewing pieces we had to produce, our first real project,  a gingham apron! I choose a moss green gingham fabric, I think at the time it was probably called "avocado" green! lol I still have that first apron in my collection today, with the iron on patch still in place where I accidentally cut a V into the skirt, with my shears, while trimming up a thread or seam I don't remember now. But none the less it was devastating to me at the time! After that apron the sky was the limit! I loved sewing and still do! In the beginning it was all clothing, with some dabbling in stuffed toys, pillows, and fashion accessories.
I think a list would be useful here:
  • peasant tops, blouses, summer tops
  • a-line dresses, shift for pep club
  • prom formals, halter dresses
  • numerous shirts for my high school sweetheart (also known as TheManWhoHoldsMyHeart), some with embroidery or satin trim on the yoke, pearl snaps, or made of warm plaid flannel. He loved the shirts!
  • My wedding dress! I'll post a picture of it soon. ring bearer pillow
  • maternity clothes, I was working at a fabric store at the time and whatever clothing I sewed for display I got for free
  • baby bibs, blankets, towels and washcloths, oneies, sleepers, etc.
  • for my daughter, many dresses, corduroy pants with matching tops, overalls, night gowns, p.j.s
  • a Barbie wardrobe for my cousin, Amiee and my DD
  • orange and black tiger striped p.j.s for #1Son
  • numerous aprons
  • Halloween costumes; a blue bunny, a witch, a pirate, Glenda the good witch, a vampire, a zombie, a Jedi knight, Morticia from the Addams family, I'm sure there are a few more but that's all I can remember without going through the photo albums 
Then in 1993 a sorority sister (that sister is my BFF today) introduced me to QUILTING! It was a small wall quilt that she taught me to make, an Easter decoration!  And as the saying goes the rest is history!!!!!!!!
This is the piece where it all began!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I can't remember a time when this piece wasn't hanging somewhere in the house! I love your hobby - things like that make home that much homey-er! :)

    ReplyDelete