Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Addictions

Yes, I have a monkey(s) on my back!
 COFFEE AND DARK CHOCOLATE!!
Together or apart! But together they make my eyes roll back in my head! XD
I started drinking coffee many years ago, but it became an addiction in Devils Lake, ND in the mid '90's when Paul Johnson and his father Dan opened The Liquid Bean! It's still there today and going strong, even without my support! No surprise it's got atmosphere, great eats, wonderful personnel and of course Great Coffee! We began buying beans and grinding our own coffee at home, for our daily cuppa at about that same time. Plus we switched our usual coffee pot for a thermos pot, that way the coffee stayed hot without sitting on a burner/warmer and getting that burnt taste. We stayed with that mode for years, until TheOther#Son presented us with a Keurig apparatus. (that's a whole nother story that I may or may not share someday!)  ;-)  We've been using it for several years now and oh what a great fresh brewed single cuppa coffee! The k-cups are spendy though, so we have gone to an eco-cup that allows you to fill your own similar style k-cup with a ground coffee of your choice. I'm a couponer so I usually get some discount on the bag and we have done the math (wink wink to TheOther#1Son) and found that we get a great cup of coffee for about $.20!!
Dark chocolate has more recently become an addiction, about 2 years. My 2 favorites are Lindt dark with chili, and surprisingly enough Hershey's dark (the cheapest of most dark chocolates). My favorite chocolate chip for cookies is also the Hershey dark chocolate chip! Back in February I found a recipe @bakerella.com for Dark Chocolate Chip Comfort Cookies! OMG They are amazing, what's so surprising is they also have peanut butter in the mix and I was pretty sceptical, while milk chocolate and peanut butter is good, (yea like a Reese's) dark chocolate seems too refined to go with peanut butter! But Noooo it's soooo yummy!!! I made them twice in a row because we couldn't stop, even my Mom likes them and she says she does not like dark chocolate!

So I've come forward and admitted my addictions.....what are yours?????????????

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a coffee drinker but my husband is. I think the two of you would get along quite well since you both love a fine cup of coffee.

    As for my addiction... Hmm that's a good question... I'm one of those people who quickly gets bored with one thing and moves on... But my current addiction seems to be the garden. I'm enjoying playing in the dirt right now. Hopefully it lasts through the growing season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for fessing up Michele! Doesn't it feel good now to garden and not hide the dirt under your nails!Haha!! Also Michele, I've been following your blog for awhile and really enjoy your crafting/recycling ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm a sucker for sugar in all its candy/cookie/dessert forms. My colleagues all have addictions to pop or salty snacks, so I never have to fight anyone for the sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's genetic Sassafras, I craved Oreos when I was pregnant with you!!!

      Delete
  4. You're sure making those cookies sound good! Those ones with the brownie mix, dark chocolate, etc are AMAZING.

    As for my addiction? Definitely coffee (I think you guys sealed that deal hehe). I can't believe I used to not drink it during swim season! Most days I'd never make it through my afternoon classes without it. Plus it fits into ANY part of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my son the circle is complete!!(Darth Vader breathing here) We have brought you all over to the darkside, Baahahahaha!!!!!

      Delete